Redwine United Methodist Church has a long and rich history in south Hall County. The church campus currently consists of approximately 10 acres, with a 270-seat Sanctuary, a modern Fellowship Hall that accommodates 175 people, a Children’s Educational Center, and a recently remodeled Youth House for youth activities. The church also supports a very active Scouting program, and the scouts have their own Scout Hut, occupying a portion of the Arbor building. Kids n ‘ Christ Parents Morning Out is also a wonderful outreach program sponsored by Redwine and is held on the church campus.
Redwine United Methodist Church Through The Years
Early Days of Redwine UMC
Redwine UMC began on August 1st, 1845 when approximately 39 acres were purchased from William E. Redwine. There are no records to indicate what happened to the first structure, but part of the property was sold in 1890 to build what is believed to be the second church building constructed in 1891 (pictured above).
Redwine UMC Spring
Down the hill and behind the arbor is a freshwater spring where drinking water was collected and carried in buckets up to the arbor and sanctuary for worship services. Inscribed on the rock facing is a memorial plaque that reads William “Buck” Redwine, August 3, 1935. Scout Troop 203 is continuing to restore this historic piece of our history, and it will remain as a part of Mr. Redwine’s legacy.
The Redwine UMC Arbor
Old Redwine Camp Ground is remembered as a recruiting place during the Civil War, and there is a monument on the church grounds that was dedicated to the memory of these brave soldiers. After the war, for many years there was an “Old Soldiers of the Confederacy” reunion held annually on the campgrounds, and old soldiers in uniform, with identifying ranks, would attend the annual event held under the Arbor. According to records, the Arbor we have on our church..Read More
Educational Wing Added
In 1964, Redwine added an Educational Building connected to the Sanctuary. The addition consisted of Sunday School rooms for children, youth, and adults, a church office, and much-needed restrooms.
New Sanctuary and New Fellowship Hall
Mr. Joel A. Martin was a prominent member of Redwine United Methodist Church, and when he passed away in 1970, a portion of his will was bequeathed to the Church. Due to Mr. Martin’s generosity, and the faithful members of Redwine, a new Sanctuary was built in 1974. The new Sanctuary included central heat and air, complete new furnishings, a new organ and piano, and a beautiful new courtyard. Also included at this time was a new fellowship hall, completely..Read More
Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts
Boy Scout Troop was organized at Redwine UMC in 1983. Cub Scout Pack 203 was organized at Redwine in the 1980’s.
Redwine UMC Parsonage
The year 1985 was an eventful year for Redwine, in that our church became a full-time appointment. This was a challenging year from a financial standpoint because we did not have the resources to support a full-time minister, and the parsonage was not up to the required standards. However, with the help of the United Methodist Church North Georgia Conference, the Gainesville District, and local banks, Redwine stepped out on faith and prayers, and we are thankful for the support..Read More
Parking at Redwine
In 1990 the parking lot was paved to accommodate approximately 100 vehicles.
The years 1995 – 1998 proved to be an exciting time at Redwine. In 1995, a modern new Fellowship Hall was constructed that accommodates 175 people. The new building contains a fully equipped kitchen, canopied entrance, restrooms, audio-visual equipment, and central heat and air conditioning. In addition to dining, the building is also used for adult Sunday School classes, large Bible study groups, scouting events, and family reunions. In 1997, the Sanctuary was enlarged, totally renovated, and will now seat..Read More
Kids n’ Christ Parents Morning Out (PMO)
Kids n’ Christ Parents’ Morning Out ministry began at Redwine in the year 2000.
Our church is celebrating 172 years of existence in 2017. We are located between South Hall Middle School and Robert Wood Johnson High School. The University of North Georgia Gainesville campus is less than a mile from our campus, and new residential developments continue to populate our area. Redwine UMC has unlimited opportunities to reach out in our communities now and in the years to come, to serve others, and inspire others to reach their full potential through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and to see lives transformed by God’s love in action.