Redwine United Methodist Church Through The Years
Early Days of Redwine UMC
Redwine UMC began on August 1st, 1845 when approximately 39 acres were purchased from William E. Redwine. There are no records to indicate what happened to the first structure, but part of the property was sold in 1890 to build what is believed to be the second church building constructed in 1891 (pictured above).
Redwine UMC Spring
Down the hill and behind the arbor is a freshwater spring where drinking water was collected and carried in buckets up to the arbor and sanctuary for worship services. Inscribed on the rock facing is a memorial plaque that reads William “Buck” Redwine, August 3, 1935. Scout Troop 203 is continuing to restore this historic piece of our history, and it will remain as a part of Mr. Redwine’s legacy.
The Redwine UMC Arbor
Old Redwine Camp Ground is remembered as a recruiting place during the Civil War, and there is a monument on the church grounds that was dedicated to the memory of these brave soldiers. After the war, for many years there was an “Old Soldiers of the Confederacy” reunion held annually on the campgrounds, and old soldiers in uniform, with identifying ranks, would attend the annual event held under the Arbor. According to records, the Arbor we have on our church grounds today is the third one. It was constructed in 1936, and although the old soldier’s reunions and camp meetings have been discontinued, the arbor is still in use for worship services, family reunions, and scouting.
New Sanctuary and New Fellowship Hall
Mr. Joel A. Martin was a prominent member of Redwine United Methodist Church, and when he passed away in 1970, a portion of his will was bequeathed to the Church. Due to Mr. Martin’s generosity, and the faithful members of Redwine, a new Sanctuary was built in 1974. The new Sanctuary included central heat and air, complete new furnishings, a new organ and piano, and a beautiful new courtyard. Also included at this time was a new fellowship hall, completely furnished with dining tables and chairs that would seat 90 people and a fully furnished kitchen. The new sanctuary, new fellowship hall, and the existing educational wing were completely encapsulated with a brick exterior at a total cost of $148,000.
Redwine UMC Parsonage
The year 1985 was an eventful year for Redwine, in that our church became a full-time appointment. This was a challenging year from a financial standpoint because we did not have the resources to support a full-time minister, and the parsonage was not up to the required standards. However, with the help of the United Methodist Church North Georgia Conference, the Gainesville District, and local banks, Redwine stepped out on faith and prayers, and we are thankful for the support we received. The parsonage was totally renovated in 1985 at a cost of $58,000, and on November 22, 1987, the parsonage debt was retired.
The years 1995 – 1998 proved to be an exciting time at Redwine. In 1995, a modern new Fellowship Hall was constructed that accommodates 175 people. The new building contains a fully equipped kitchen, canopied entrance, restrooms, audio-visual equipment, and central heat and air conditioning. In addition to dining, the building is also used for adult Sunday School classes, large Bible study groups, scouting events, and family reunions. In 1997, the Sanctuary was enlarged, totally renovated, and will now seat 275 people. A beautiful new steeple was added at the entrance of the Sanctuary. The total cost of these two projects was approximately $400,000, and the debt was retired at the Homecoming service in 2005.